full article here
trans by: elaysium (please take out with credit and do not repost)
All the credits go to the translator.
The original source for this translation is here
A young man’s faith and perseverance
“For this promise with EXO members, I will not end my contract”
“For this promise with EXO members, I will not end my contract”
2015 April 8 7pm, Zhang Yixing finished attending EXO’s fansign in China and immediately rushed back to the filming location for “Oh My God” all the way in Badaling. At 2pm in the afternoon, he had not been sure whether he was able to attend the fansign. April 8 is EXO’s third anniversary. To Yixing this holds a lot of meaning, but because filming schedules were tight, the director had not planned on giving Yixing leave. Himself in Beijing and his members also in Beijing, not being able to attend the third anniversary event made Yixing very anxious. So he went to every director to explain the situation, the directors had a special meeting for this matter, and allowed Yixing to take a few hours off.
Once the fansign was over Yixing rushed back to the filming location, thanking the directors and other staff for their understanding, and promising the directors that once he’s back he will not cause a second of delay. Yixing once said, what he learnt most from teachers at the company is the “spirit of contract”, and this is reflected in the way he conducts himself and every aspect of his work and life, such as his personal studio in China.
From the perspective of others, SM seems to have become “enlightened”, allowing Chinese members to set up studios, giving them greater freedom and management rights. But behind this actually lies one year’s worth of Yixing’s perseverance. In February 2014, Zhang Yixing had thoughts about opening a studio in China for the first time, but to the company at that time, this was something that had never been done and was impossible, so this thought ran aground. Afterwards, two Chinese EXO members left one after another, because of this, Zhang Yixing who values emotions cried many times. This moment was an unusually difficult period for the whole group. “Gege, will you leave too?” the other members in the team asked him more than once. “Many of the members in the group are younger than me, I feel that I have this burden on myself, as well as the responsibility to maintain this group’s completeness, I will not leave” Yixing said firmly.
Once the fansign was over Yixing rushed back to the filming location, thanking the directors and other staff for their understanding, and promising the directors that once he’s back he will not cause a second of delay. Yixing once said, what he learnt most from teachers at the company is the “spirit of contract”, and this is reflected in the way he conducts himself and every aspect of his work and life, such as his personal studio in China.
From the perspective of others, SM seems to have become “enlightened”, allowing Chinese members to set up studios, giving them greater freedom and management rights. But behind this actually lies one year’s worth of Yixing’s perseverance. In February 2014, Zhang Yixing had thoughts about opening a studio in China for the first time, but to the company at that time, this was something that had never been done and was impossible, so this thought ran aground. Afterwards, two Chinese EXO members left one after another, because of this, Zhang Yixing who values emotions cried many times. This moment was an unusually difficult period for the whole group. “Gege, will you leave too?” the other members in the team asked him more than once. “Many of the members in the group are younger than me, I feel that I have this burden on myself, as well as the responsibility to maintain this group’s completeness, I will not leave” Yixing said firmly.
Going back to their country and starting a new world is a dream for many Chinese members, but as the company did not understand the Chinese market, this led to the members losing many good opportunities. To the group and the individual development of the members, this was a regret. So began discussions after discussions. Last year in July, Zhang Yixing posted an essay online saying he “anticipates a change in the company”, he always believed that the company will be able to understand. “My accomplishments today are given to me by the company, it is SM that developed me, fulfilled my dreams. It’s not that I am greedy and want to go home and lead a safe life, but I wish that everyone can have even more developments, keep moving forwards, and keep improving.” He always carried his own faith and his trust in his company. It’s also not as if SM had never put him to the test, “If you are not given a studio, what will you do?” “The members trust me very much, just like the song ‘Promise’, I will always keep my promise with EXO, there is no way I will terminate my contract, but I will keep persevering.” In the end, it is through this sincerity that Yixing moved the company, and even obtained the support of all his members. Now not only towards him, the company is more open towards the development of every Chinese member.
“I must use my own hard work to prove, that Chinese people can be trusted. If everyone terminated their contracts, there is a possibility that SM will never work with Chinese people in the future, and that will obstruct the cultural exchange between China and Korea.” When Zhang Yixing says these words with sincerity, you will no longer think he is making a mountain out of a molehill, instead you will understand why he will say things like “wishing our country prosperity”. The staff say, he has a huge sense of responsibility.
“I must use my own hard work to prove, that Chinese people can be trusted. If everyone terminated their contracts, there is a possibility that SM will never work with Chinese people in the future, and that will obstruct the cultural exchange between China and Korea.” When Zhang Yixing says these words with sincerity, you will no longer think he is making a mountain out of a molehill, instead you will understand why he will say things like “wishing our country prosperity”. The staff say, he has a huge sense of responsibility.
“Getting him to endorse your product will definitely be worth your money” the managing staff in charge of Yixing’s China activities told us this incident, which we shall call the “KFC incident”. “He is endorsing KFC right? There was once he and his mother were at the airport, that day he had not eaten and was very hungry, but there was only McDonalds at the airport, no KFC. His mother said “I’ll buy you McDonalds”, he said “I won’t eat that, because I am endorsing KFC, I must not let down the product I am endorsing.” His mother got angry, “You’re so hungry and you still won’t eat?” He said “Even so I cannot eat, because I am an artiste.” He wouldn’t even let his mother eat, he said “Because you are the mother of an artiste, you also must not eat.” Zhang Yixing is this kind of person, what he has contracted to do, what he has promised to do, what he has said, he definitely will do it.
A young man’s promise to his mother
“When I have settled down in Beijing, I will move my family over”
“Oh My God” is his first movie. Filming for the first time, Zhang Yixing felt so stressed that he could not sleep. “I worried, would I act well? Would I act naturally? My Hunan accent is also a problem.” Chen Xue Dong contacted Zhang Yixing through Li Wei Jia, “He did not explain why (he asked me to act), only that the script was pretty good. I said okay, I understand, then I will act.” Zhang Yixing’s eyes are clear, his face adorably blur.
Born in 1991 in Hunan Changsha, Zhang Yixing’s parents are both arts enthusiasts. His father loves to sing, his mother loves Andy Lau. 6 year old Yixing acted in a charity show promoting the obedience of traffic rules, going on TV. At 9 years old he took part in the recording of “Music Never Stops”, and at 14 years old he took part in Hunan TV’s Star Academy, winning third place. Being a celebrity is Yixing’s dream since young.
“So you have a background in acting!”
“Aiyo, really!” the corners of Yixing’s mouth turned up, revealing a little excitement.
“Aiyo, really!” the corners of Yixing’s mouth turned up, revealing a little excitement.
SE Weekly journalists had followed Yixing to his filming in Chang Cheng (Great Wall of China), his mother arrived in Beijing from Hunan the day before. An aunt wore home clothes with a big apron, pouring drinks and inviting us to sit, warm and gracious, without any sense of distance. The hotel’s kitchen provided various kitchenware. Worried that Yixing eating take-out everyday would affect his health, his mom specially came to take care of his meals, and of course mostly to ease their longing for each other.
During the period he works in Korea, due to longing, Zhang Mama often went to Korea to see him, but due to tight schedules and strict expectations, it’s not easy for Yixing to meet his mother. “I say “Mom, I can meet you now”, and she will immediately come to our old place to meet me anytime, but halfway our company may want to increase training or increase schedules, so I have to go back. Of the three or four days my mom goes to Korea, she may only get to see me for half an hour.” Now that he has his studio in China, and more opportunities for activities in China, Yixing says that once he has the ability to settle down in Beijing, he will invite his parents to move there with him. Being apart for the long-term makes these meetings more precious. 24 year old Zhang Yixing is using his hard work to fulfil his future dreams.
During the period he works in Korea, due to longing, Zhang Mama often went to Korea to see him, but due to tight schedules and strict expectations, it’s not easy for Yixing to meet his mother. “I say “Mom, I can meet you now”, and she will immediately come to our old place to meet me anytime, but halfway our company may want to increase training or increase schedules, so I have to go back. Of the three or four days my mom goes to Korea, she may only get to see me for half an hour.” Now that he has his studio in China, and more opportunities for activities in China, Yixing says that once he has the ability to settle down in Beijing, he will invite his parents to move there with him. Being apart for the long-term makes these meetings more precious. 24 year old Zhang Yixing is using his hard work to fulfil his future dreams.
Work hard work hard and work harder
“In the entertainment circle, give your all for endurance, not explosiveness”
“In the entertainment circle, give your all for endurance, not explosiveness”
Temperatures in Chang Cheng at night are very low, when asked if he has experienced the hardships of filming, “Filming is about wearing cotton-padded jackets during hot days, and wearing short sleeved shirts during cold days, every phase has its difficulties.” Yixing said simply, still with that innocent, adorably earnest look in his eyes.
“On him I cannot see any hardship, he has never complained of being tired.” Staff members at the side are full of admiration for him. During the 4 years he spent as a trainee in Korea, Yixing was always the first to arrive and the last to leave. Whether or not they can debut, these thoughts are always a burden on youths chasing their dreams. When the stress is greatest, other trainees would choose to relax, but Yixing continued to practise dancing in the studio. “Only by giving my all to train will I be able to have no regrets”, this is his way of maintaining a balance of mind.
Once, he was worried to the extreme. He video-called his mother and said, “Mom let me show you something.” Then he took off the singlet he was wearing, his sweat dripping all over the floor. He told his mother, “Mom, if I don’t get to debut, please don’t blame me. I have already really tried my best.” At that time, Zhang Mama began to cry. “Actually as a mother, it is not important whether you debut or not, what is most important is your happiness and health.” Back then and right now, that is what Zhang Mama told Yixing.
An essay that Yixing wrote when he was young has been spreading on the internet. In it he wrote about how his father had insisted that the doctors operate on a tonsil in little Yixing’s throat, and because he has a clotting disorder this caused him to lose a lot of blood after the operation. This incident is true, “That essay was a piece of homework, because there was a word limit, I could not write too much, but the details are roughly like that.” Yixing confirmed to reporters that his blood’s clotting ability is not too good, “If I have a big operation I will lose a lot of blood, but now it is much better than in the past, and I am taking a lot of nutritional supplements.” On April 4, Zhang Yixing who was filming a movie in Beijing rushed back to Korea to film a music show. Fans saw blood flowing continuously from the glove he was wearing and cried sadly. This wound on his hand happened in a previous recording when he was too exhausted and fell. Afterwards Yixing only let staff bandage the wound simply and did not say another word, but his poor blood clotting ability resulted in the wound taking a long time to heal. When reporters met him on April 8, the wound on his hand was still very visible.
This year, as he was in charge of hosting a New Year show, Zhang Yixing fell behind on some dance moves. So during Chinese New Year, while everyone went home to celebrate, he was alone in the dance studio practising his dancing, “If I go home I won’t know how to dance, and this will hold back our members. I don’t want to be the one holding back others.”
Zhang Yixing’s life motto is “Give your all on endurance, not explosiveness”. During the interview, the words he said most were “working hard”, “persevering” and “down to earth”. And this is what he does, just like his Weibo name “努力努力再努力” (“Work hard work hard and work harder”). When the photoshoot was nearing the end, just as the movie staff called for him to go to filming, just like he did when we first met, he bowed 90 degrees, shook hands with everyone and sincerely bade goodbye to everyone. Then he rushed back to the filming location. 10pm at night, he threw himself back into filming work…
Interview with Yixing
Exclusive Nickname
“What is Changsha Crazy Hoof?”
SE: Living alone in Korea, you must be very good at living independently. But during ‘Celebrity Chef Has Arrived’, like you said, your performance is “not very good”. So how are your cooking skills really?
Yixing: Us Hunan people (here he specially used his hometown’s dialect) all can cook very well! Hence, I have very high standards for culinary skills! If I were to judge using my own standards, my culinary skills are really not very good. But, my grandparents and my mother are very affirmative of my skills! They are all my fans!
SE: Normally when you are on vacation and have no work, how will you spend your day?
Yixing: I will wake up later, sleep more, sleep until 12 or 1pm. Then when I wake up I will compose songs, go out to buy a cup of coffee, if I can I will meet some friends, if I cannot I will stay at home.
SE: No other entertainment activities?
Yixing: This really…as an artiste, entertainment activities… I wouldn’t dare to do many entertainment activities.
SE: Now do you get to go out alone, such as taking the train, or going to the cinema? Have you ever been noticed?
Yixing: Yes, I will wear a mask and wear a cap to shield my face, many times I have never been noticed, I am rather proud of that!
SE: How often do you clean your room?
Yixing: Room, ah, that, haha. To be honest, when I go home I would feel like being lazy, but when I’m working outside and filming, I will clean up my room everyday, with the help of assistant jiejie.
SE: Do you like the nickname of “长沙疯蹄子” (literally translates to “Changsha Crazy Hoof”)? In private, what are you like when you are most crazy?
Yixing: Changsha Crazy Hoof? Is there one? Do I have such a nickname? Why do I not know? Where did you see it? Quick let me see it! Most crazy in private… probably when I am dancing I will be wilder, like a wild dancer. What is a Changsha Crazy Hoof? You must let me see later!
SE: Compared to the you on ‘Star Academy’, on stage you are no longer so lively, have you grown up? Or has your inner dorky aegyo/cuteness truly been revealed? Or is it an image the company planned for you?
Yixing: Aiya, people must all grow up, of course I can’t be like when I was a child. What you said is inaccurate, I have always revealed my inner aegyo, it is not dorky aegyo.
SE: Haha, so which are the internet slang words you use most often now?
Yixing: 醉了, Duang, haha.
SE: Up till now are there anymore specialties you can reveal to everyone?
Yixing: Wah, this time I have revealed too much, I will tell you next time.
Yixing: Us Hunan people (here he specially used his hometown’s dialect) all can cook very well! Hence, I have very high standards for culinary skills! If I were to judge using my own standards, my culinary skills are really not very good. But, my grandparents and my mother are very affirmative of my skills! They are all my fans!
SE: Normally when you are on vacation and have no work, how will you spend your day?
Yixing: I will wake up later, sleep more, sleep until 12 or 1pm. Then when I wake up I will compose songs, go out to buy a cup of coffee, if I can I will meet some friends, if I cannot I will stay at home.
SE: No other entertainment activities?
Yixing: This really…as an artiste, entertainment activities… I wouldn’t dare to do many entertainment activities.
SE: Now do you get to go out alone, such as taking the train, or going to the cinema? Have you ever been noticed?
Yixing: Yes, I will wear a mask and wear a cap to shield my face, many times I have never been noticed, I am rather proud of that!
SE: How often do you clean your room?
Yixing: Room, ah, that, haha. To be honest, when I go home I would feel like being lazy, but when I’m working outside and filming, I will clean up my room everyday, with the help of assistant jiejie.
SE: Do you like the nickname of “长沙疯蹄子” (literally translates to “Changsha Crazy Hoof”)? In private, what are you like when you are most crazy?
Yixing: Changsha Crazy Hoof? Is there one? Do I have such a nickname? Why do I not know? Where did you see it? Quick let me see it! Most crazy in private… probably when I am dancing I will be wilder, like a wild dancer. What is a Changsha Crazy Hoof? You must let me see later!
SE: Compared to the you on ‘Star Academy’, on stage you are no longer so lively, have you grown up? Or has your inner dorky aegyo/cuteness truly been revealed? Or is it an image the company planned for you?
Yixing: Aiya, people must all grow up, of course I can’t be like when I was a child. What you said is inaccurate, I have always revealed my inner aegyo, it is not dorky aegyo.
SE: Haha, so which are the internet slang words you use most often now?
Yixing: 醉了, Duang, haha.
SE: Up till now are there anymore specialties you can reveal to everyone?
Yixing: Wah, this time I have revealed too much, I will tell you next time.
Regarding a girlfriend
“I prefer girls with a more gentle and pure personality”
SE: Recently on one segment of ‘Happy Camp’, you mentioned that when you interact with girls you become very shy. Have you felt that Huang Xiaoming is “too senior”, and learnt a few moves from him?
Yixing: Yes, Huang Xiaoming ge is really very good, not only towards girls, but he takes care of people very well. I also know that what girls say and think sometimes are not the same, but I can’t guess what they are truly thinking. This is where Huang Xiaoming ge is really good at, he really knows what a girl is really thinking. I think the difference between Huang Xiaoming ge and I is a problem of reflexes, maybe I have slower reflexes, so I cannot respond fast enough.
SE: With your work so busy, are you getting less and less familiar with how to interact with girls? Are you looking forward to having a relationship?
Yixing: Yes I really don’t have time to date. But what I want to do most right now, is work hard to improve all aspects of my ability.
SE: Talk about what is the most romantic thing you have done for a girl?
Yixing: Wah, I am afraid of being asked such a question, I really feel I have never done any romantic things.
SE: Then as a youth who has been in the spotlight since childhood, what is the most romantic thing girls have done for you?
Yixing: Fans have really done a lot of things that touched me, and many romantic things. They will write letters to me, like “love letters”, and I keep them very diligently, when I have time I will read them. Some of these “love letters”, besides praising me, will remind me of a lot of problems, such as taking care of my body, not to slouch. These are very nutritional “love letters”.
SE: Here is a necessary question, what are your standards for choosing a girlfriend? Which type do you prefer, a young girl or a woman? As a Libra, a member of outward appearance association, what expectations do you have of your partner’s appearance?
Yixing: I prefer girls with a more gentle, pure personality. Oh, have Libras been classified as members of outward appearance association now? Do members get prizes for that? Haha, I would notice a girl’s eyes more, I feel that a person’s eyes, the look in their eyes, show her inner thoughts. After that, I prefer girls who dress up simply.
SE: What is one thing you cannot accept from your girlfriend?
Yixing: Treating my family badly, this is something I cannot accept.
SE: Who is your female goddess?
Yixing: I have a male god, can I say it? It’s Andy Lau… (this is also Zhang Mama’s male god!)
SE: As a little fresh meat born in the 90s you are probably not troubled over marriage issues yet, but do you have any thoughts and plans for your future career and family? As a son, has your mother ever raised this issue with you?
Yixing: I think that relationships depend on fate, just go with the flow. My mother has not hurried me, I don’t know if she will ask in a couple of years. Right now I will still focus on work.
Yixing: Yes, Huang Xiaoming ge is really very good, not only towards girls, but he takes care of people very well. I also know that what girls say and think sometimes are not the same, but I can’t guess what they are truly thinking. This is where Huang Xiaoming ge is really good at, he really knows what a girl is really thinking. I think the difference between Huang Xiaoming ge and I is a problem of reflexes, maybe I have slower reflexes, so I cannot respond fast enough.
SE: With your work so busy, are you getting less and less familiar with how to interact with girls? Are you looking forward to having a relationship?
Yixing: Yes I really don’t have time to date. But what I want to do most right now, is work hard to improve all aspects of my ability.
SE: Talk about what is the most romantic thing you have done for a girl?
Yixing: Wah, I am afraid of being asked such a question, I really feel I have never done any romantic things.
SE: Then as a youth who has been in the spotlight since childhood, what is the most romantic thing girls have done for you?
Yixing: Fans have really done a lot of things that touched me, and many romantic things. They will write letters to me, like “love letters”, and I keep them very diligently, when I have time I will read them. Some of these “love letters”, besides praising me, will remind me of a lot of problems, such as taking care of my body, not to slouch. These are very nutritional “love letters”.
SE: Here is a necessary question, what are your standards for choosing a girlfriend? Which type do you prefer, a young girl or a woman? As a Libra, a member of outward appearance association, what expectations do you have of your partner’s appearance?
Yixing: I prefer girls with a more gentle, pure personality. Oh, have Libras been classified as members of outward appearance association now? Do members get prizes for that? Haha, I would notice a girl’s eyes more, I feel that a person’s eyes, the look in their eyes, show her inner thoughts. After that, I prefer girls who dress up simply.
SE: What is one thing you cannot accept from your girlfriend?
Yixing: Treating my family badly, this is something I cannot accept.
SE: Who is your female goddess?
Yixing: I have a male god, can I say it? It’s Andy Lau… (this is also Zhang Mama’s male god!)
SE: As a little fresh meat born in the 90s you are probably not troubled over marriage issues yet, but do you have any thoughts and plans for your future career and family? As a son, has your mother ever raised this issue with you?
Yixing: I think that relationships depend on fate, just go with the flow. My mother has not hurried me, I don’t know if she will ask in a couple of years. Right now I will still focus on work.
Interview with Zhang Mama
SE: Zhang Yixing cannot eat spicy food, but you are from Hunan, do you normally eat spicy food at home?
Zhang Mama: He cannot eat spicy food, so I accommodate him and make non-spicy food, now I can make non-spicy food.
SE: Which dish of yours does he like best?
Zhang Mama: Sausages! The Cantonese-style, sweet ones.
SE: Is it the kind you make at home?
Zhang Mama: No, we buy it, at Tang Ren Shen (a company). Ah! I can’t say it, it’s an advertisement! (Mama you know well! Fans, do not be impulsive. Business, please pay a fee, thank you.)
SE: What dishes do his aunt make for him usually?
Zhang Mama: She likes to eat sausages, fried pork with peppers, cauliflower, and stewed eggplant clay pot.
SE: Now you can see your son often, and he can see you too.
Zhang Mama: I often follow him around, when he is in Korea I go to Korea too.
SE: Can you go to his dormitory?
Zhang Mama: No I can’t!
SE: What do you do then?
Zhang Mama: I will make appointments with him~
SE: It’s your son but you have to make appointments to see him, are there a few places you will always meet him at?
Zhang Mama: It’s always the same place, because he can’t travel far!
SE: How often do you go to Korea?
Zhang Mama: When I miss him I will go. It’s funny, I can’t speak a word of Korean, but when I reach Korea I won’t get lost, I know where he stays, I also know where I want to go, I also know where I am staying at. My Korean pronunciation of these few places are quite good.
SE: When was the first time you went to Korea? Did you go alone?
Zhang Mama: No, I went to send him off. At that time I was sick with a lumbar disc problem, after walking for a while I had to sit down and rest, but I was worried about him, and was not familiar with this company. He went to Korea in 2008 October 10, at that time Korea was snowing very heavily for the first time in 50 years! At first I was fine, but after that he fell asleep next to me, and I cried.
SE: Have you always supported him going to Korea?
Zhang Mama: Yes, since he was young I have supported whatever he has done.
SE: Your family are all arts enthusiasts.
Zhang Mama: Not really, maybe it’s because I graduated from a kindergarten teaching school, anyway it was fun bringing children up! His father likes to sing.
SE: Since young he has participated in many competitions, and went on tv.
Zhang Mama: I first discovered he had talent when he went on stage when he was 2 years old, singing the song his father usually sings “My Sun”, without going out of tune! This is one incident. Another time was, his father has a friend, and Yixing once performed with us, he said “I will imitate the way Uncle Zhang sings (Note! He used a Hunan accent~), when Uncle Zhang sings his eyebrows go up”. Normally we did not notice, but afterwards we observed, and it really was! After that I started to train him, when he was 2 years old he stood on a very large platform and sang without going out of tune, without getting stage fright!
SE: Since young he has participated in all kinds of competitions, have you ever worried about his studies?
Zhang Mama: His middle school teachers also supported his competitions, whatever competitions he took part in they supported him. That school’s slogan was promoting quality education, not putting that much importance on grades, so at that time he took part in many of the school’s performances, and often took leave to take part in competitions.
SE: What is his rank like? Was he good?
Zhang Mama: Near the front, in the top three. (He is really his mother’s little pride!)
SE: With this kind of rank, were you driven to train your son up?
Zhang Mama: Not really, actually when he learnt to play the piano we did not let him take the exam. If he likes to learn he’ll learn, if he doesn’t like to learn he won’t learn! It’s just another hobby for the child. Since young we have respected his thinking a lot. At that time when he was in class he would compose songs, you could ask him to let you hear that…that song that is very nice, he wrote it in English class while in high school. (This journalist did not get the chance to hear the song in the end, let’s ask him to publish the song! shall! we!)
Zhang Mama: He cannot eat spicy food, so I accommodate him and make non-spicy food, now I can make non-spicy food.
SE: Which dish of yours does he like best?
Zhang Mama: Sausages! The Cantonese-style, sweet ones.
SE: Is it the kind you make at home?
Zhang Mama: No, we buy it, at Tang Ren Shen (a company). Ah! I can’t say it, it’s an advertisement! (Mama you know well! Fans, do not be impulsive. Business, please pay a fee, thank you.)
SE: What dishes do his aunt make for him usually?
Zhang Mama: She likes to eat sausages, fried pork with peppers, cauliflower, and stewed eggplant clay pot.
SE: Now you can see your son often, and he can see you too.
Zhang Mama: I often follow him around, when he is in Korea I go to Korea too.
SE: Can you go to his dormitory?
Zhang Mama: No I can’t!
SE: What do you do then?
Zhang Mama: I will make appointments with him~
SE: It’s your son but you have to make appointments to see him, are there a few places you will always meet him at?
Zhang Mama: It’s always the same place, because he can’t travel far!
SE: How often do you go to Korea?
Zhang Mama: When I miss him I will go. It’s funny, I can’t speak a word of Korean, but when I reach Korea I won’t get lost, I know where he stays, I also know where I want to go, I also know where I am staying at. My Korean pronunciation of these few places are quite good.
SE: When was the first time you went to Korea? Did you go alone?
Zhang Mama: No, I went to send him off. At that time I was sick with a lumbar disc problem, after walking for a while I had to sit down and rest, but I was worried about him, and was not familiar with this company. He went to Korea in 2008 October 10, at that time Korea was snowing very heavily for the first time in 50 years! At first I was fine, but after that he fell asleep next to me, and I cried.
SE: Have you always supported him going to Korea?
Zhang Mama: Yes, since he was young I have supported whatever he has done.
SE: Your family are all arts enthusiasts.
Zhang Mama: Not really, maybe it’s because I graduated from a kindergarten teaching school, anyway it was fun bringing children up! His father likes to sing.
SE: Since young he has participated in many competitions, and went on tv.
Zhang Mama: I first discovered he had talent when he went on stage when he was 2 years old, singing the song his father usually sings “My Sun”, without going out of tune! This is one incident. Another time was, his father has a friend, and Yixing once performed with us, he said “I will imitate the way Uncle Zhang sings (Note! He used a Hunan accent~), when Uncle Zhang sings his eyebrows go up”. Normally we did not notice, but afterwards we observed, and it really was! After that I started to train him, when he was 2 years old he stood on a very large platform and sang without going out of tune, without getting stage fright!
SE: Since young he has participated in all kinds of competitions, have you ever worried about his studies?
Zhang Mama: His middle school teachers also supported his competitions, whatever competitions he took part in they supported him. That school’s slogan was promoting quality education, not putting that much importance on grades, so at that time he took part in many of the school’s performances, and often took leave to take part in competitions.
SE: What is his rank like? Was he good?
Zhang Mama: Near the front, in the top three. (He is really his mother’s little pride!)
SE: With this kind of rank, were you driven to train your son up?
Zhang Mama: Not really, actually when he learnt to play the piano we did not let him take the exam. If he likes to learn he’ll learn, if he doesn’t like to learn he won’t learn! It’s just another hobby for the child. Since young we have respected his thinking a lot. At that time when he was in class he would compose songs, you could ask him to let you hear that…that song that is very nice, he wrote it in English class while in high school. (This journalist did not get the chance to hear the song in the end, let’s ask him to publish the song! shall! we!)
trans by: elaysium (please take out with credit and do not repost)
All the credits go to the translator.
The original source for this translation is here
All the credits go to the translator.
The original source for this translation is here
Shared by Danielle@exodicted.net
TAKE OUT WITH FULL AND PROPER CREDITS.
DO NOT HOTLINK!

0 Comments
Thanks for adding to the discussion! We would love to hear how you feel.