[DISCUSSION] 160930 FANDOM WARS


Hello everyone!

It’s discussion Friday once again and this week I decided to tackle a bit of a sensitive subject- Fandom Wars. Let me write a disclaimer lest anyone be offended beyond repair. These are my own, honest views of my experience in the fandom and I don’t intend to be offensive or rude. I just want to put this topic out there to get a true view of what my fellow Exo-L’s think.

Recently a new “project” was launched to sabotage the comeback of a VERY popular group- I’ll give you three guesses as to who that group is. Even though the “project” isn’t aimed at Exo, it does involve Exo-L’s and using Exo to sabotage the other group. This is something I personally do not approve of. As a multi-fandom K-pop fan, it becomes awkward for me when a fandom war breaks out. It also makes me feel embarrassed to be a part of the fandom that starts the war and I can’t help but feel like I’m not alone in my view here. 



But this new “project” is not the first time Exo and Exo-L’s have been dragged into something. A more recent example would be when Exo made their comeback with “Lotto”, a campaign was launched to prevent Exo from winning. At the time I was extremely disappointed to see that the rivalry between fandoms was so intense that eighteen of them teamed up to bring down one group. And to use a newly debuted group to do it? The whole thing felt wrong on so many levels. 


The same thing is happening again and I’ve seen a few Exo-L’s that are ready to jump in and sabotage another group- the same fans that most definitely would have complained when Exo was being attacked. So it brings up the question of why is it so necessary to start these wars? Why can’t we all live peacefully and not drag the name of our fandom into the abyss?




I understand that there are some fans who dedicate their time solely to one group but for the majority of us who are multi-fandom, lines become blurred very easily. With project “Break Wings”, I find myself wanting to remove myself from both fandoms just to enjoy the comeback of one of my groups in peace. And that is a heart-breaking fact. There is no doubt that Exo is always going to be my number one group, but that does not mean I’m willing to use their music to sabotage another group that I also happen to love dearly. In fact, how do you think Exo feels about their fans using them to bring down someone else? Suho is always telling us to love- Exo, Saranghaja? I’m sure that rings a bell. 

I hate that my Twitter and Amino feeds are filled with fans hating on each other and opposing groups. But it’s not like this is a new phenomenon because fandom wars between Exo-L’s and other fandoms have always been a thing, although I will admit that over the years our fandom has grown and matured so much. Three years ago I wasn’t completely happy to be in a fandom that was perceived in a bad way, but today it’s not like that. I’m proud to be a part of a fandom that recognised the need to grow up and not incite silly fights. We want to be a fandom that Exo is proud to call their own, right?
 


So I guess what I’m getting at here is a plea. Let’s be the bigger person and not get involved in “projects” that could ruin our name as Exo-L’s and embarrass Exo either. Our boys work extremely hard and deserve our support. We should help them achieve greater heights through fair means and that means voting for our group when we need to, driving up views of our own music videos and buying their albums. Let’s not team up and use methods to bring down any group we see as “rivals” or unworthy because even they have trained and worked extremely hard to get where they are. If you’re solely dedicated to Exo, then continue being an upstanding and mature Exo-L- don’t start wars or pick on other fandoms or groups. And if you’re multi-fandom like me, then enjoy the Kpop life and don’t feel like you have to pick sides in a war. Step out for a bit and just enjoy the comebacks of whatever group you’re supporting.

At the end of the day, the most important thing as an Exo-L is to keep supporting Exo and help them achieve even greater things. If you do find that we’re being attacked, don’t retaliate because that’s the reaction they want. And do not be the attackers! Let’s keep the name and banner of Exo-L and Exo flying high and show the world that we won’t be shaken or participate in unfair wars. 

I could keep writing my lonesome opinion on staying out of fan wars, but the point of this discussion is to hear what you guys think. Drop me a comment and tell me if you agree with me or if you think I’m being a naïve Exo-L. And how do you think everyone else views our fandom? I’m really looking forward to the responses. 

With that said, I think there’s only one thing left to say,

Exo-L’s, Saranghaja!



Written by: Acacia@exodicted.net
Image Credits: Individual uploaders
TAKE OUT WITH FULL AND PROPER CREDITS. DO NOT HOTLINK.


Post a Comment

0 Comments